Waste Wise Christmas
Christmas Garbage Collection - there are no changes to Council's garbage bin collection services over the Christmas and New Year period.
Waste Services will operate as normal on Christmas Day (Tuesday 25th December 2012). Residents who live in areas where your garbage collection day is a Tuesday please put your bins out for collection on Monday night. Please check your calendar to see if it is a recycling or garden organics collection week for your area.
The waste contractor call centre will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Years Day. To report missed services please call the Waste Hotline on 1800 079 390 and leave your details on the voicemail. Alternatively missed services can be reported online under the service request link on the Hurstville Council homepage.
During the festive season, Australians produce much more waste than usual, but there are a number of simple things you can do to reduce your impact on the planet and still enjoy a wonderful celebration with friends and family. Some ideas include:
- buy a meaningful gift from not-for-profit organisations where your money funds projects, infrastructure and training programs for people in developing countries
- donate to an environmental organisation instead of giving presents to the person that has everything
- give a magazine subscription to an environmental magazine that will provide your loved one with fantastic environmental living tips all year round
- wrap presents in your children's pictures, recycled paper, comic pages of the newspaper or tea towels
- decorate a potted plant with good quality decorations that can be used for many years
- plan meals wisely and only buy what you need (we throw away 3.3 million tonnes of food waste every year)
- offset your greenhouse gas emissions from air travel with a carbon off-setting company
- consider making 'Green New Year Resolutions' such as installing energy-saving light bulbs or a water tank.
Planet Ark - ideas for celebrating a 'clean, green, festive season' and reducing water, energy, waste, travel and more.