Waste Wise Christmas
COUNCIL WASTE SERVICES OVER THE FESTIVE SEASON 2015-2016
Christmas Garbage Collection - there are no changes to Council's garbage bin collection services over the Christmas and New Year period.
Waste Services will operate as normal over the Christmas and New Year period. Residents who live in areas where your garbage collection day is a Friday please put your bins out for collection on Thursday night. Remember to check your calendar to see if it is a recycling or garden organics collection week for your area.
The waste contractor call centre will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Years Day. To report missed services please call the Waste Hotline on 1800 079 390 and leave your details on the voicemail. Alternatively missed services can be reported online under the service request link on the Hurstville Council homepage.
On Call Clean Up Services over the Christmas Holiday Period
Clean up bookings will not be available during the Christmas and New Year period. The clean up service ceases on 24th December 2015 and recommences Monday 4th January 2016.
Electronic Waste Drop Off Site
The electronic waste drop off site will be closed over the festive season. The last drop date for 2015 is Saturday 19th December. The site will reopen on Saturday 23rd January 2016.
Other helpful hints
During the festive season, Australians produce much more waste than usual, but there are a number of simple things you can do to reduce your impact on the planet and still enjoy a wonderful celebration with friends and family. Some ideas include:
- buy a meaningful gift from not-for-profit organisations where your money funds projects, infrastructure and training programs for people in developing countries
- donate to an environmental organisation instead of giving presents to the person that has everything
- give a magazine subscription to an environmental magazine that will provide your loved one with fantastic environmental living tips all year round
- wrap presents in your children's pictures, recycled paper, comic pages of the newspaper or tea towels
- decorate a potted plant with good quality decorations that can be used for many years
- plan meals wisely and only buy what you need (we throw away 3.3 million tonnes of food waste every year)
- offset your greenhouse gas emissions from air travel with a carbon off-setting company
- consider making 'Green New Year Resolutions' such as installing energy-saving light bulbs or a water tank.
Planet Ark - ideas for celebrating a 'clean, green, festive season' and reducing water, energy, waste, travel and more.