Georges River Council
Skip navigation

Neighbour disputes

Council receives a very wide variety of complaints by one neighbour against another neighbour.

Most of the complaints received by Council relate to civil disputes between neighbours, for which Council is not the appropriate regulatory authority.

If you are either the complainant or the subject of a complaint the best way to resolve disputes is by sensible and pragmatic agreements being negotiated.  Where such agreements cannot be reached, both parties should consider free mediation, conflict management, dispute counselling and facilitation services offered by the NSW Community Justice Centres.  The NSW Community Justice Centres annual report reveals that over 80% of mediation results in an agreement being reached.

Read more about the NSW Community Justice Centres and frequently asked questions.

Common Civil Disputes

Common civil disputes where Council is not the appropriate regulatory authority include, but are not limited to:

  • Dividing fence disputes
  • Property damage
  • Trespass
  • Acquisition of Easement
  • Noise from music or the like
  • Overhanging trees
Email a friend…Close this form

* Mandatory fields