Justice of the Peace
A Justice of the Peace (JP) is a volunteer judicial officer who is able to:
- witness the signing of documents, such as affidavits and statutory declarations
- certify copies of documents.
Some of these documents may be required in court proceedings, while others may be needed for people to access benefits, or meet legal responsibilities.
Community members who require the assistance of a JP can access this service for free in the following locations (subject to availability). Please note the JP providing the service is a volunteer, and is not employed by Council.
- Hurstville City Council's Customer Service Centre - Wednesdays, between 12.00pm and 1.00pm
- Hurstville City Library - Tuesdays 11am - 12pm (as of 22 April 2014) and Wednesdays 11am - 12noon and Thursdays 11am - 12 noon
- Penshurst Branch Library - Thursdays 10am - 11am
If you are a JP and would like to volunteer for this program, contact Amy Georgiou on 9330 6118 or email email@example.com
No demanding, offensive or aggressive behaviour towards the JP will be tolerated, for any reason.
The Justice of the Peace that visits Hurstville City Council on most Wednesday’s IS NOT A COUNCIL OFFICER, he provides his JP services on a volunteer basis to Council.
The Justice of the Peace may cancel his services at any time with no prior notice and may not be available when you visit Hurstville City Council.
If the JP is not available, Council Staff can provide you with a list of other JP’s within the area.
Alternative JP services
Keystone Community Solutions also provides JP services at its Information Desk in Westfield - Hurstville, which is located to the left of Coles Supermarket. This service is generally available on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 1.30pm until 3.00pm, but is also subject to availability.
Justice of the Peace Register - search by postcode, name or registration number for a local JP.