FREE PERMANENT E-WASTE COLLECTION SITE
PLEASE NOTE: THIS COLLECTION WILL BE CLOSED DURING THE CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR HOLIDAY PERIOD.
LAST OPEN DAY IS THURSDAY 19 DECEMBER 2013 1.00pm - 3.00pm
REOPENING TUESDAY 14 JANUARY 2014 1.00pm - 3.00pm
Hurstville City Council is pleased to announce our participation in the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme. In partnership with the Australian and New Zealand Recycling Platform Limited (ANZRP) and their TechCollect program, Council is offering a free e-waste recycling service for the general public, small businesses and schools.
WHERE: Hurstvile City Council's Works Depot, Roberts Avenue, Mortdale
WHEN: Every TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY (Except Public Holidays)
1.00pm to 3.00pm
Please note - the collection site maybe closed occassionally due to unforseen circumstances, including extreme weather conditions.
One SATURDAY per month
8.00am to 12.00 midday
14 December 2013
25 January 2014
22 February 2014
22 March 2014
12 April 2014
24 May 2014
14 June 2014
Entry to the site is through the main gates on Roberts Avenue, Mortdale.
Participants must follow directions by Council staff and assist in removing items for recycling from the car.
What items will be accepted under the National Television & Computer Recycling Scheme?
- Computers (desktop and laptops)
- Monitors, keyboards, computer mouse
- Hard drives
- Printed circuit boards eg motherboards, video cards, sound cards
- Network and memory cards
- Printers, scanners, faxes
- Computer accessories (floppy discs and cd drives, power supplies)
- Toner & Ink Cartridges
What items are NOT ACCEPTED under the National Television & Computer Recycling Scheme?
- DVDs/VCRs players
- Mobile phones and accessories, telephones
- Electronic gaming equipment (game consoles)
- Vacuum cleaners
- Hair dryers
- Other household appliances (toasters, alarm clocks, irons, kettles)
- Power tools
- Digital/Video Cameras
PLEASE NOTE: Hurstville City Council WILL have the capacity to collect and recycle the items not accepted under the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme at the permanent collection site.
THESE ITEMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT THE PERMANENT COLLECTION SITE?
- White goods (fridges, freezers, washing machines, dryers)
- Gas Bottles
- Household batteries
- Light globes
- Fluorescent tubes
- Halogen lights
- Air Conditioners
- Styro Foam
- Smoke detectors
- VCR Tapes, DVD/CD discs
Some important points about this collection site:
- Only cars are permitted onto the site, no pedestrians allowed
- It is your responsibility to delete all data from your devices. Hurstville City Council does not take any responsibility for any loss or damage incurred by improper use of personal or confidential information which may be contained on computer hard drives or components at the time of disposal.
For more information on e-waste recycling and the National Television and Recycling Scheme please visit www.techcollect.com.au
Hurstville City Council, in conjunction with Rockdale and Kogarah Councils held their first e-waste collection event in 2007. Almost 45 tonnes of broken and unwanted electronic equipment was collected from residents for recycling.
The e-waste collection in November 2011 was a great success with over 1700 cars attending event and nearly 104 tonnes of unwanted electronic appliances collected. Up to 95% of this material is recycled meaning approximately 99 tonnes of waste has been diverted from landfill. With an estimated 70% of heavy metals in landfill coming from e-waste, this is an outstanding result for the local environment.
For more information please contact Council's Waste Services on 9330 6222 or TechCollect on 1300 229 837 www.techcollect.com.au
Electronic Waste Brochure (421.78kB)- Council flyer promoting the E-Waste Collection Site.
Electronic Waste Information Guide (3.59MB) - Council has produced ‘A guide to investigating and conducting an electronic waste project in your council’.