Try to avoid these top ten delays:
- Insufficent information (see below)
- Poor quality plans or Statement of Environmental Effects
- Poor compliance with development rules
- Poor designs having unacceptable impacts
- Unsatisfactory stormwater drainage designs
- Unsatisfactory impacts on trees
- Multiple replacement applications
- Complexity required in assessment reports
- External referral delays
We request additional information from more than 30% of all applicants. Additional information is commonly requested on the following matters:
- failure to lodge a detailed contour survey from a registered surveyor
- site access grades that are too steep and no long sections of driveways
- lack of easements for gravity stormwater disposal
- lack of investigation into potential flooding
- failure to identify bushfire risks and meet bushfire protection requirements
- lack of justification for removal of trees
If your DA does not have the information required it will take longer to process your application.
May we require additional information later in the process?
Yes. Once we have all the relevant reports and have had the opportunity to review them, we may come back with a request for clarification or further detail. This request may be by phone, email or letter. The applicant, at this stage, will deal directly with one of our expert assessment officers.
If you provide further information to any one of our experts, make sure you also send it to your assessment officer so they are aware that you are progressing the application.
What happens if Council is not provided with the information requested?
If the information requested is not provided within the timeframes set out in the request, then our Development Assessment Team Leader has delegated authority to refuse the application on the basis that the Applicant has not provided sufficient information to allow a proper assessment. We may give reasonable extensions on a case by case basis but we will not accept unreasonable delays that may affect the time and resources we have available to process other applications.